Wednesday 27 August 2008

Thursday 21st August - Operation Day!

As expected, I didn't sleep very well last night and was so glad when at 6am my alarm went off because I could finally get out of bed and get on with things! I didn't feel too nervous and packed all my stuff up and went to pick my Mum up with my boyfriend. We were a bit late arriving at the Nuffield at 7:30am but all was fine and I was taken to my own room very quickly and we settled in to wait for Mr Gray. I changed into my gown immediately and was given some anti-thrombosis socks which kept my legs warm! Mr Gray came around and said that he had two children to operate on first *groan* but they were simple operations so he hoped to have me in the theatre about 11:30am. That was quite a wait! We passed the time by watching the Olympics, laughing at the people on Jeremy Kyle and reading magazines and doing puzzles. What fun(!) 11:30am came and went and we joked about how Mr Gray is optimistic.. 12pm and the nurse came into my room and said "they were ready for me in theatre" ARRGGGHHH!! The moment of truth had finally arrived and I didn't run for the hills.. I wasn't allowed to have anyone come down to theatre with me so I hugged my boyfriend and my mum and said "see ya later"... Being put under was not a pleasant experience, two men pinned me down and put an IV into my left arm and then one of them said something which I didn't hear. The last thing I remember is saying "tens?" and a funny chemical feeling passing up into my head, making me feel sick. I think I went under with my eyes still open because I don't remember closing them! I was also crying at this point because I was alone.
Two hours later I came round in Recovery and couldn't see out of the bandage around my forehead. I panicked and the nurse wouldn't let me move it so I could see what she was saying and I felt sick anyway so I promptly threw up all over the side of the bed and probably hit the nurse with it all! Whoops... They decided to move me back to my room about half past two and I wasn't looking forward to this because I couldn't control the movement and lo and behold I was sick again into a kidney shaped bowl on the way to my room which was only 150 yards away! They stabbed me in the leg/bottom to inject anti sickness medication (despite the fact I had an IV line in!!) and this didn't work and they gave me two little painkiller tablets which I promptly threw up! I said to mum (who's got an implant too, implanted nine years ago) "You didn't tell me it would hurt THIS much!" as I was in quite a bit of pain around the scar. I was sick many times over the course of 4 hours, finally regaining control of my stomach around 6pm. I slept after each throw up bout and the rest of the day was as follows sleep/wake up and talk briefly/sleep until everyone left about 8pm and I slept well for the first night.

No comments: