Monday 9 October 2017

My new Phonak Naida Link Hearing Aid!



In June 2017, I received the Naida Link hearing aid. This hearing aid is compatible with my CI processor and the two can communicate with each other. When I want to listen to music or a telephone call using my Com Pilot, both the Link and my Naida CI processor will connect to it at the same time, so I can hear using both ears. I can touch the program button on either my hearing aid or my CI and it will effect the program change in both ears at the same time! There is 1/2 seconds more time delay on the CI side before I can hear again but it's a small price to pay...

I can choose which side I want to hear on by pressing the program button on the appropriate side – this is so useful in the car when I want to hear the passenger or my child in the back seat!! 

I noticed my speech perception improve within the first few days after I started using the Link, walking along corridors and listening to a child at the same time was no longer such an effort! And with the zoom control feature in a noisy environment, it feels like the child’s voice is right by my ear! 

In August 2017 I had the automatic settings on the Naida Link hearing aid switched off because it affects my perception of the environment and my concentration on speech sounds. I noticed this mostly when I was walking with people I was trying to listen to, especially when I wasn’t lip-reading them. If I turned my head away from the person, I could no longer hear their voice and in addition to this, I couldn’t really hear any environmental information. With each turn of the head, I found myself incredibly disorientated and I really didn’t like it. Once it was turned off, I was much happier with the hearing aid and my ability to hear with both ears.

#lifeison

4 comments:

Toby Zane said...

Thanks for the comment about the automatic mode. I had *exactly* the same problem with disorientation with my Naida Link when it was switched on, so it's great to see there's a solution for that. Will definitely speak to my audi team about trying it with the auto mode switched off till they do some software updates!

Sarah C said...

You're welcome. I'm glad to read that my blog is helping someone else identify something that they can change! I still notice a slight disorientation/imbalance since correcting this issue in a programming session but I think that this is 50% a software issue and 50% the fact that the hearing in my CI ear is so much better than my HA ear. I'll notice the fade out/abrupt cut off of a sound I can't hear in my HA ear but I still can in my CI ear! Fingers crossed it won't be long till a software update...!

Unknown said...

Hi
Was implanted in August last year and am doing brilliantly.
I've just discovered your blog as I'm trying to find into on whether I could use a sauna with my processor on?
I,too was fitted with the link but haven't worn it much as the mould is incredibly sweaty & uncomfortable...it's a full mould.
But my Audiologist said in May after the speech tests after tuning,while wearing the naida link & my implant & then with just my implant,that the link isn't much benefit apart from feeling balanced as I'm hearing 100% with my implant alone

Robert said...

Thank you for sharing this informative blog with us. If you are looking for quality assistive listening devices for the classroom then you should visit us.